Strapping, banding, or bundling is an important part of modern logistics and supply chain management systems. Having quality shipping strapping supplies helps to combine, hold and stabilize the entire setup.
These can be applied in either a horizontal or vertical manner to hold and reinforce individual shipments. Combining these with edge protectors means spreading the load at the corners, reducing damages, etc.
Benefits of investing in shipping strapping supplies
By binding items together through quality shipping strapping supplies,it is easy to attain the following benefits –
- Helps to bundle items together for handling the shipments. This can be used for shipping newspapers, concrete blocks, lumber, etc.
- Attaching items to the crates, skids, pallets, etc. is easy using these.
- Closing corrugated boxes for shipping through containers
- Similarly, attaching items to flatbeds and semi-trailers
- Reinforcing wooden trays, corrugated boxes, etc.
- Holding bales of agriculture products or securing items like paper, textiles, etc.
- Securing the unit load of bricks, packaged materials, glass, metal parts, etc.
- Placing along with the boxcars, intermodal containers, etc.
- Securing CD mailers and sleeves
Joining methods adopted for the purpose
With premium quality materials and straps, it is easy to seal the shipments adequately and safely.
Often these can be secured by merely tensioning the strap to seal completely. If you choose steel variants to secure the same then choose seals, notch joints, etc. to do the job. Other options for the same are welding or crimping.
Type of seals
Seals are available in various shapes and sizes. The selection factors must be based on the desired applications i.e. it can be put on after tensioning or before the same.
To create the seal, these are notched on both sides to create a single or multiple-notch joint. The two sets of notches can help to create a double-notch joint while crimp undulations can be used to replace the notches.
Similarly, crimps can create frictional forces to avoid seeping of the joint. Creating seal-less joints also possible to attain interlocking keys in the middle.
Placing plastic straps
Placing plastic straps is possible by melting the same together and adding heat to the joint.
- For lighter gauge straps
For lighter gauge straps, heat is introduced using a hot knife by moving the same between the straps. A platen is used to compress the straps and the knife on an anvil. The plate drops and goes up to compress the joints. This makes the melted portions mix up and harden.
- for thicker gauge straps
In the case of the above, friction is used to create heat between the two joints. For this, the strap is compressed with platen and anvil. Either of these carries teeth and a vibrator is used to melt the same. For completing the process, the vibrator is stopped and pressure is applied till the joint solidifies. Polypropylene and polyester strapping can be used to seal the heat.
The same is designed to concentrate energy and attain maximum welding strength on a machine or can also be sealed using a buckle.