Nowadays, with the advent of high-speed connection and Google Images, fewer individuals keep offline backups of their photographs on their PCs or other external storage.
It makes sense to transfer photos to your PC occasionally if you take a lot of pictures because you will eventually run out of storage space on your smartphone.
If you regularly record 4K videos and your computer does not have a lot of storage, you will ultimately run out of room. This is why it’s advised that you transfer your smartphone’s pictures and videos to an external storage device.
This is the ideal option if you value your images and want to save them for about as long as you can. If you’re unfamiliar with the Android environment and unsure how to transfer images taken with your smartphone to an external storage device, then this article will help you.
We will show you how to attach a hard drive to your phone and the steps to transfer the data. Before going ahead, make sure to update the USB 3.0 driver to avoid any errors.
Steps to Attach a Hard Drive
Follow the steps given below to do so.
- Use the full-size USB female side of the adapter to attach a USB drive or SD reader with the card.
- Connect the USB-C end of the cable to your phone.
- The notification shade will appear when you slide down from the top.
- If the file manager appears automatically, there is no need to do anything.
- Select USB Drive.
Steps to Transfer the Data from the Phone to the Hard Drive
One of its benefits is the fact that all Android mobile devices support USB OTG. This has the ability to easily transfer images from the Android phone to an external hard drive.
You can use a USB OTG adapter to link the hard drive to your smartphone in order to accomplish this. They are readily available for a reasonable price and are useful in many different circumstances.
- To your Android smartphone, use an OTG adapter to attach an external hard drive.
- Then, using file manager, go to the folder on your Android device where all of the data are saved.
- Now, choose and copy-paste the data into a folder of your choice on the external hard drive
Steps to Transfer the Data from the Phone to the Hard Drive on Windows System
Follow the below instructions to perform the transfer process on the Windows PC.
- Connect your Android device to your Windows 10 computer and choose the option for “Transferring images/Transfer photo” there.
- Start a new Explorer tab or click “This PC” on the Windows 10 computer.
- Under Devices and Drives, your linked Android smartphone will appear. Double-click it and then select Phone storage.
- Your Android device’s microSD card will display separately if one is present. If the SD card contains all of your photographs and videos, choose that.
- All of the pictures and videos you capture are saved in the DCIM/Pictures folders and the camera app on your Android smartphone.
- Copy all of the pictures and videos you would like to transfer.
- In “My Computer,” you can access the external storage device that is attached to your computer. It ought to appear under the Devices and Drives section.
- Then, paste each of the media files into a folder or another location on the drive as desired.
Steps to Transfer the Data from the Phone to the Hard Drive on Mac System
The process is slightly different on a Mac because you need to use any Android File Transfer program to perform this. Follow the below instructions to do so.
- First, install any available program of your choice on your Mac
- Connect the Mac to your Android smartphone. Now, select the “Transferring photos” mode on your Mac. Android File Transfer should launch automatically.
- Go to the location where all of the videos and pictures you clicked are stored. Select all the items and drag and drop each photo into its own folder on the Mac.
- Copy and paste the file or the photographs from your desktop to an external hard drive that is connected to your Mac.
To sum up, this article lists different methods and steps to connect a hard drive via USB and to transfer files from one device to another. We hope this guide helped you easily and quickly.